PRO 11 to create inter-agency task force vs. investment schemes

The Police Regional Office 11 is hell bent on stopping the proliferation of illegal investment schemes in the region.

PRO 11 director Police Brigadier General Marcelo Morales said on Wednesday, May 29, that they will soon create an inter-agency task force that would run after illegal investment schemes in the region.

He said that they have started meeting with various government agencies that could help in their effort to stop the proliferation of illegal investment schemes.

Morales said they have started with their own agency, the Philippine National Police, wherein all of their personnel have already been warned and advised from joining these illegal investment schemes or face administrative sanctions.

He said that PNP personnel who join these schemes could be charged for subordination and violation of ethical standards.

Morales said that PNP personnel who do not heed their directive should also not expect any help from the PNP once they fall victims to the illegal investment schemes.

With regards to the earlier statement of Tagum City Mayor Allan Rellon that investment schemes in their city has contributed to the zero-crime incidence, Brig. Gen. Morales said that there is no proven correlation on low crime rate due to investment schemes thus should not be made an excuse by the authorities to justify the activity.

Morales warned that with their pre-emptive action against these illegal investment schemes, they are only trying to prevent the scenario where crimes would rise once the investment scheme collapses.

Police Brig. Gen. Marcelo Morales, PRO 11 chief

Morales said that they have so far identified about ten companies offering investment schemes to the public operating in Davao Region.

He said that they are, at the moment, collecting more data on the said companies and looking for possible complainants.

Morales admitted that they needed complainant to be able to effect closures and arrests of those involved in the illegal investment schemes.

He said that what they can do for now is prevent people from falling prey to the illegal activity so as to prevent the grim scenario in the future once the investment scheme collapses.

Statement on PRRD’s Tokyo visit

MANILA, 28 MAY 2019 – President Rodrigo Roa Duterte leaves for Tokyo today for a working visit to further deepen the Philippines’ political and economic engagement with its key strategic partner, Japan.

President Duterte will deliver a keynote address at the 25th International Conference on the Future of Asia upon the invitation of Nikkei, Inc.

The President’s address will highlight Philippine development goals and accomplishments, foreign policy thrusts, and insights on regional and global developments.

This annual gathering, regarded as one of Asia’s top foreign policy and economic fora, also includes leaders of Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Bangladesh in its lineup of speakers.

The President will likewise hold a Summit Meeting with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to reaffirm the valued friendship between the Philippines and Japan and renew the shared commitment to further strengthen special ties and realize the common goals of Philippines-Japan Strengthened Strategic Partnership.

The leaders will review the progress of agreements made in previous meetings.

They will also discuss cooperation in infrastructure development, trade and investments, agriculture, labor, defense, maritime security and maritime domain awareness, people- to-people exchanges, and the pursuit of just and lasting peace and progress in Mindanao.

The President will also take the opportunity to meet with key Japanese industry and tourism leaders at a business forum to encourage Japanese private sector investments in the country and to further heighten interest in the Philippines as a Japanese tourist destination of choice.

The President will likewise meet the Filipino community in Japan and personally convey his appreciation for their continuing sacrifice and contribution to the country’s socio-economic development.

This will be the President’s third visit to Japan, which he described as a friend of the Philippines that is “closer than a brother.”

Japan continues to be the Philippines’ biggest Official Development Assistance partner, a major source of foreign direct investments, second largest trading partner and fourth highest source of tourist arrivals.

16 Cabinet members to join PRRD in Japan

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte is set to travel to Japan on Tuesday afternoon to attend the Future of Asia forum from Thursday to Friday accompanied by 16 Cabinet members.

Malacañang released a list of the official delegation as of Tuesday morning, which includes:

Secretary Teodoro Locsin, Department of Foreign Affairs

Secretary Carlos Dominguez III, Department of Finance

Secretary Emmanuel Piñol, Department of Agriculture

Secretary Mark Villar, Department of Public Works and Highways

Secretary Karlo Nograles, Secretary to the Cabinet

Secretary Ramon Lopez, Department of Trade and Industry

Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat, Department of Tourism

Secretary Arthur Tugade, Department of Transportation

Secretary Fortunato Dela Peña, Department of Science and Technology

Secretary Alfonso Cusi, Department of Energy

Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr., Department of Information and Communications Technology

Secretary Ernesto Pernia, Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority

Secretary Jose Ruperto Martin Andanar, Presidential Communications Operations Office

Secretary Hermogenes Esperon, Jr., National Security Adviser and Director-General of the National Security Council

Secretary Salvador Panelo, Presidential Spokesperson and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel

Carlito Galvez Jr., Presidential Adviser on Peace, Reconciliation and Unity

Trade Secretary Lopez on Monday said Philippine and Japanese firms are expected to sign over 20 business agreements worth PHP300 billion, which would create at least 80,000 jobs.

The signed investment pledges will mostly be in infrastructure, manufacturing, electronics, medical devices, business process outsourcing (BPO), power, electricity, transport, automotive, food manufacturing, and marine manpower industries, Lopez said.

He said the DTI will also hold a business forum and roundtable discussions with the Japanese investors.

According to the DTI, Japan was the Philippines’ second major trading partner with total trade at USD20 billion, USD9.5 billion-worth of exports to Japan, and USD10.5 billion-worth of imports from Japan in 2018.

Japan is also the Philippines’ third major export market and import supplier. (PNA)

Dabawenya “whistleblower” accuses Trillanes of scripted video

Guillermina Arcillas, the so-called whistleblower who linked President Rodrigo Duterte in the illegal drugs trade, said the video shown by Trillanes during his privilege speech in the Senate Monday, May 27, was a scripted video which they shot three times at a coffee shop near the Mall of Asia sometime in 2016.

Arcillas said that contrary to Trillanes’ allegation that she did not pass through the senator’s vetting process, she was the one who backed out when she was already pressured by the group of Trillanes, through Atty. Jude Sabio, to sign her so-called affidavit.

Arcillas said the affidavit that Trillanes’group wanted her to sign would state that she personally saw President Duterte kill a person, and that she also saw the then Davao City mayor “tasting a pack of cocaine” that just arrived at a wharf in Panabo City, among others.

Arcillas said all of the contents of the said affidavit from Trillanes’ group are lies and concocted by the senator’s group.

Arcillas said she had a change of heart when she chanced upon Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle inside the convent of Cannussian Sisters where she was brought by Fr. Bert Alejo and Atty. Jude Sabio.

There, Arcillas said she was able to meet another so-called whistleblower Edgar Matobato.

After having escaped from the clutches of Trillanes, Arcillas said she decided to come out and reveal the truth through a sworn statement she signed and submitted to the Department of Justice on April 2017.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Arcillas’ video where she talked about Duterte’s involvement in illegal drugs was shown by Senator Trillanes during Monday’s privilege speech saying that Arcillas, like the man behind the Bikoy videos Peter Joemel Advincula, did not pass through the senator’s scrutiny.

Arcillas also showed her exchanges with a certain Atty. Jude where she was allegedly told to implicate as well Rep. Antonio “Tonyboy” Floirendo Jr. in the illegal drug trade along with President Duterte since the former is known to be the biggest campaign donor of the President.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Asked of her message to Senator Trillanes, Arcillas lambasted the senator for all the lies he had peddled and for enticing her to lie as well so they could pin down the President and his loyal friends.

FULL INTERVIEW ON MINA ARCILLAS

Duterte to son: I will resign if you’ll run for House Speaker

President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to resign if his eldest son, Congressman-elect Paolo Z. Duterte, would run for House Speaker.

Paolo was however quick to refute the rumor as he assured his father that he is not seeking the fourth highest position in the government.

The young Duterte posted in his Facebook account Monday afternoon — “Puede ba tubag ani 😕 PULONG TO PRESIDENT DUTERTE : I DID NOT SAY I WANT TO BE SPEAKER…. may nagkamali nanaman bulong sa tenga mo Mr. President.”

Paolo Duterte said that he is willing to resign from his post as congressman just to prove to the President that he is not interested in the Speakership.

Paolo earlier resigned from his post as vice mayor back in December 2017 for personal reasons.

The House speakership is hotly contested among pro-administration congressmen led by Representatives Martin Romualdez, Lord Allan Velasco, and Alan Peter Cayetano.

PDP-Laban Secretary General and ousted House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez also expressed his intention on reclaiming the post but this was readily dismissed by Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte who was reportedly behind Alvarez’s ouster in 2018.